Sunday, April 7, 2013

What are you listening to?

What we listen to and what we surround ourselves with does affect your personality and attitude whether you believe it or not. It is rare to see a soft, calm, peaceful person who listens to rap and hip hop everyday. It also wouldn't make sense for a child who only listens to peppy happy music to be sad and depressed.

I listen to a lot of Japanese music which has just as much variety as American music...without all the swearing. The last few years, I have been listening to the deep music which made me realize how sad and lonely I really was. I could sing it from the bottom of my hear because it represent who I was. But in the end, it did not really make me feel better.

To see if my theory was right, I decided to listen to the happier, peppier side of Jpop. With hyper beats, cute soprano singers, and not really any meaning in the music except fun and cuteness. Even if I was a bit down, when I plug in my headphones, it's hard to feel sad while listening to it. I feel the need to skip down the street and do random spins. Nothing could get me down when I listen to it.

Music has that much power. If you are happy and listen to a sad song, your mood can change just like that. If you just had a break up and then decide to listen to a breakup song, the lyrics may bring you to tears.

Christian music also has different sides. Beware of Christian rock. Even if they lyrics are positive, if it makes you feel more "bad ass" or rough, maybe it isn't the safest music to listen to. Some gospel music can make be deep and make you realize how much God means to you and your need to change. Listen to these for the lyrics. If you just want to feel more happy and positive rather than looking like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed, listen to the one's that will get you clapping and singing no matter where you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment