Sunday, April 7, 2013

Helping Other People

Every time I look at the world, although I want to have hope in it, I have to admit, it is getting colder everyday. I try to help at least one person everyday, but when I don't get a simple 'thank you', it can get discouraging. For example, one time when I was heading to my class, I saw a person drop their debit card. I quickly picked it up and handed it to the person...then they went on with their business. I ran to make sure I caught them, and they couldn't even turn back, look me in the face, and say thank you. Why should I try to help a stranger again?

Well, that's what we are called to do. I try my best to be a light (maybe because I was influenced from Kari from Digimon, she was so nice and sweet, always thinking about others...she even got the crest of light!). If you remember Matthew 5:14, it says "we are the light of the world...". Even when we don't think anyone is watching us, we are on display. Once you tell someone you are a christian, they expect you to be different. Unfortunatly, so many 'Christians' act like the rest of the world, so we are often associated as just another religion. This isn't how it's supposed to be!

Look at Jesus. He left us an example of how we are to live. He never turned his back on someone who needed a hand. Anyone who came to him, no matter how sick or dirty or even how much of a sinner they were, if they came to him, he was ready to help. This is why I love Taiki from Digimon Xros Wars too. He would help anyone and he was so compassionate that he couldn't turn his back on anyone, even if they were his enemy. His catch phrase was "Hottokenai", which in Japanese, means "I can't turn my back on him/her". (Sorry for the Digimon quotes, but it's my favorite show.)

This is who we should strive to be. We should always be on a look out for who we can help and hope we touch them in a way that they would look for God. If all Christians were a light, who knows how many more people we could save. Back to Digimon Xros Wars, in the end, every single Digimon joined their army because they were touched by Taiki's kindness and bravery. He was different from the other leaders, and although he was wise in his decisions, he was never rude. He was quick to forgive if he knew he could touch someone. Even when he was treated coldly, or tricked by those he trusted, he would still go back to help them if they needed it.

Like they say, actions speak louder than words. You can say you are a Christian, and you can preach, and teach others about the bible, but until you act the way you should, until you prove that you have been changed and are so loving that others are attracted to you, how can you truly be a "light"?

No comments:

Post a Comment