Sunday, April 7, 2013

Being a Christian in University/College

When I browse the internet for articles on this, there are a lot of worried Christians wondering if it is possible to be a Christian in this setting. I totally understand why they are worried. college is known for being the party, drinking and smoking place for young adults.

How would I fit in if I don't drink? What if I don't go to parties...would I still make friends? What if I am pressured to do something I don't want to do?

Don't worry! It is possible to have a great time at university while still being a Christian. I am a living example. I have never been to any of the parties, and my closest friends have not either. But I did hear that if you do go to them, it will be much harder to avoid the pressure. If your closest friends drink or smoke, it will be harder to avoid the temptation. However, if they respect your believes, you would not have to worry about this.

The best place to meet good friends: Your class! Take the time to talk to the strangers beside you, and be more outgoing in your tutorials. Most colleges and university even have Christian clubs! Trust me, there are a lot of good, non-drinking, non-smoking people in college. However...I do wish there was a non-smoking place at university. I would love to just sit on the grass and watch the sky without worrying about second hand smoke.

If you do end up in a conversation about such things, just be honest. People will respect you for it. It is safer to point out you are a christian early too. People know that there is a mix of beliefs in these places, and will still be your friend despite this.

Don't be afraid to stand up for who you are! Even if you do lose a couple friends, it is better than doing something that could ruin or scar your life forever. You are still young, and college is just the beginning of the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment